Home Car Accidents Government Vehicle Accidents
Gillette Government Vehicle Accident Lawyers

Gillette Government Vehicle Accident Attorneys

Injured by a Government Vehicle in Campbell County? Call Us Today

As drivers, we expect everyone to follow the law and avoid making reckless maneuvers, especially on the rural roads around Campbell County. No driver should ever speed, drive while intoxicated or distracted, perform a dangerous turn, or otherwise cause a collision. Everyone should follow these basic rules of the road, including government workers. Unfortunately, government vehicle drivers are just as prone to causing accidents as everyone else.

If you were injured in a government vehicle accident that was not your fault, you should contact an attorney at Steven Titus & Associates, P.C., immediately. There are a limited number of scenarios where you can receive compensation from the government, and you should talk to a Gillette government vehicle accident attorney to understand your rights.

Do not wait. Call our office at (307) 257-7800 to schedule a free case evaluation.

Back to Top

What Is Sovereign Immunity?

Typically, government agencies and workers are protected by a legal concept called sovereign immunity, which means that you cannot file a lawsuit against them for an injury. However, because the Wyoming Legislature understood how unfair these protections are for everyday citizens, it passed the Wyoming Governmental Claims Act. Under the Wyoming Governmental Claims Act, anyone injured by a government worker while he or she is performing his or her duties can file a claim for compensation with the government. There are, however, strict rules for filing a claim and receiving compensation.

Back to Top

When Can You File a Claim Against a Government Agency?

The Wyoming Governmental Claims Act outlines several instances where accident victims can pursue a claim against the government, but the most common one is auto accidents. If a government worker causes an accident through an act of negligence while performing their duties, then anyone who was injured in that accident can file a claim for compensation with the government agency.

Compensation is generally capped at $250,000 for a single person or $500,000 for two or more people injured in an accident. However, if the government agency has a separate insurance policy with a higher limit, then you can pursue a claim up to that policy’s limit.

Situations where you can file a government claim include:

  • A police officer backing into another vehicle while pursuing a suspect
  • A garbage truck or snowplow hitting a pedestrian outside his or her home
  • A school bus that collides with a tree and injures a passenger
  • A maintenance vehicle that runs a red light and collides with another vehicle at an intersection
  • A UPSP truck that causes a delivery accident

Normally, if you were injured in a car accident, you would have four years to file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company. However, with government vehicle accidents, you only have two years to file a claim with the government. While this is more time than most other states, you should still speak to an attorney as soon as possible to get started on the claim.

Back to Top

Steps to Filing a Government Tort Claim

While car accident claims are rarely simple, government vehicle claims are typically more complex. First, you must identify which agency caused your injuries, and then you must submit a written notice of the accident to that agency within two years of the collision. Your notice needs to include:

  • When, where, and how the accident occurred
  • The name of the government worker who caused the accident
  • Your name and address
  • The name of your attorney and the address for his or her law office
  • How much compensation you are seeking from the claim
  • Your signature

Failure to submit this notice can result in your case being thrown out by the court, which is why you should thoroughly review it with your attorney first. Once you have submitted a notice, the government agency has three options:

  • Settle your claim for the full costs of your injuries
  • Deny your claim
  • Fail to respond to your claim

The government has one year to respond to your claim. If the government does not respond or denies your claim, then you have one year to pursue a lawsuit in court for full compensation.

Back to Top

Why You Should Call a Gillette Auto Accident Lawyer

Many accident claims against government workers fail because victims do not properly submit a notice. Instead of trying to handle a claim on your own, reach out to a Gillette vehicle accident lawyer at Steven Titus & Associates, P.C. We have years of experience representing accident victims throughout Campbell County and can provide the diligent legal representation you need right now.

If you or someone you love was injured in a crash with a government worker, we can advocate for full compensation for your injuries. Not only can we review your case and ensure you have an airtight notice, but we can also represent you in a trial against a government agency. To get started on your claim, call Steven Titus & Associates, P.C., at (307) 257-7800 and schedule a free case evaluation.

Back to Top

Steven Titus

Your FREE Case Strategy Session
On All Injury and Criminal Cases

Contact our office right now to speak to
someone who wants to help you.