Gillette Motorcycle Passenger Injury Attorneys
Representing Injured Motorcycle Passengers
A motorcycle accident is a very traumatic event that can result in severe injuries or even death. Victims of motorcycle accidents often require extensive medical care and rehabilitation to recover, and sometimes they are left with injuries that never completely go away.
When a motorcycle passenger is involved in a crash, it can be difficult to know where to turn for help. The motorcycle rider and the other driver will exchange insurance information, but what should you do? Your best course of action is to contact an experienced Gillette motorcycle accident lawyer who will help you get fair compensation to cover the cost of your injuries.
Getting Compensation for Your Injuries
If another driver’s negligence contributed to the crash, you will want to seek compensation from their insurance company.
In these cases, it’s important to remember that the insurance company is not your friend. In fact, they make their money by paying out as little in claims as possible. That’s why an insurance agent will probably make you a lowball offer that doesn’t even cover the cost of your injuries. The good news is that you don’t have to take their first offer.
Insurance companies often employ shady tactics such as calling victims on the phone and trying get you to say incriminating things that could damage your claim. That’s why you should never talk to an insurance agent until you have met with a Campbell County personal injury attorney.
Who Can Be Held Liable?
If you were hurt in a Gillette motorcycle accident, you may be able to collect damages to cover the cost of your medical care.
In Wyoming, you have the right to seek damages from anyone whose negligence contributed to the accident, as long as you aren’t determined to be more than fifty percent responsible yourself. Passengers are rarely responsible for motorcycle accidents.
People have a legal duty of care, which means they can be held responsible if their reckless actions cause harm to others. Depending on the circumstances, a passenger in a motorcycle accident may be able to get restitution from:
- The other driver. If the crash involved another driver, their careless actions may have contributed to the accident.
- The motorcycle rider. Sometimes motorcycle drivers go too fast or try to make unsafe maneuvers, especially when taking sharp turns. If the accident does not involve another vehicle, there’s a good chance you may have to file a claim against the rider’s insurance company.
- People responsible for keeping the roadways safe. Roadside debris, uneven terrain, broken traffic signals, and poorly marked hazards can all result in tragedy.
- Mechanics. If a motorcycle is improperly maintained leading to hazards such as brake failure, the person who worked on the bike may be negligent.
- Makers of defective products that caused the rider to lose control of their motorcycle can be held liable for a person’s injuries.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents?
Most motorcycle riders in Wyoming are responsible citizens who drive safely and obey the traffic laws. In many cases, accidents are caused by automobile drivers who don’t always look out for motorcycle riders. Whether committed by an automobile driver or a motorcycle rider, these types of carless actions can lead to tragedy on the road:
- Left hand turns: A major cause of accidents involving motorcycles is automobile drivers who simple don’t see the motorcycle when the driver is making a left turn at an intersection while the motorcycle is heading in the other way.
- Lane splitting is illegal in Wyoming. This is a very dangerous maneuver that occurs when a motorcycle rider carelessly drives between two lanes that are both occupied by other vehicles.
- Speeding diminishes the driver’s ability to avoid accidents and increases the chances that death or serious injury will result if an accident occurs.
- Drug or alcohol use reduces the driver’s reaction time and seriously hampers their judgment.
- Distracted driving. With so many people using their phones for texting or checking directions these days, driver distraction is higher than ever.
- Roadway hazards: Potholes, loose gravel, grooves in the road, and other conditions can cause a motorcycle rider to lose control of their bike.
What Are Some Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries?
Motorcycle passengers don’t have seat belts or other safety features that automobile passengers have to protect them. Injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident may require extensive medical care and rehabilitation. Your personal injury lawyer knows exactly how to calculate the full extent of your cost of care so they can help you get the compensation you deserve. Common injuries that motorcycle passengers may suffer in an accident include:
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Severe burns
- Soft tissue injury
- Brain injury
- Wrongful death
We’re on Your Side
A motorcycle accident can be devastating, but we’re here to help you get your life back together. Call Steven Titus & Associates, P.C. today at (307) 257-7800 to get a FREE case strategy session. It’s time to start fighting back.
Your FREE Case Strategy Session
On All Injury and Criminal Cases
Contact our office right now to speak to
someone who wants to help you.