Legal Blog
blog home Premises Liability How to Receive Compensation After a Fall

How to Receive Compensation After a Fall

By stladmin on January 13, 2021

A serious fall can set the average person back months in medical bills and lost wages. You may not be able to walk on your own for some time, have difficulty sitting or sleeping comfortably, and need physical therapy to fully recover. While you may not want to make a fuss out of a fall, most injuries are covered under liability insurance. That means that if you were injured on someone else’s property, you may be able to have your medical bills and other expenses paid if the owner contributed to your slip-and-fall.

What Should I Do After a Fall?

Your first step after a slip-and-fall should be to get medical attention, especially if you struck your head, broke a bone, have difficulty moving a limb, or are experiencing sharp pain in your spine. Medical professionals should review your symptoms to ensure that you are not at risk of further trauma. You may feel it is frivolous, but one in five falls results in a serious injury, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). You should never treat your health as trivial.

The moment you start receiving medical treatment, you have begun the process to start filing a claim. At this point, if a property owner caused your fall through an act of negligence, then you can recover your medical bills in a premises liability claim. You should also keep going to treatment and healing with the assistance of a doctor. This shows that your injuries are serious, and you can still include any future treatment in a claim.

Who Do You Report a Slip-and-Fall To?

If you can do so in spite of your injuries, you should report the accident to the property owner as soon as possible. But if you need to rush to a hospital, you should have a family member or friend report the incident. However, if you need some time to recover first, you can still report an accident to the property owner at a later date. This can be a store owner, a building manager, or a landlord who should fill out an official report. This report confirms that an accident occurred, and the property owner was aware of it. It will operate in the same way that a police report does in a car accident. You should also ask for a copy to review it with your attorney.

How Can an Attorney Help Me?

Once you have seen a doctor and filed a report, the next, and often more important, step in a slip-and-fall case is to talk to an attorney. Determining whether or not you have a valid premises liability claim can be difficult without a legal background, and our lawyers at Steven Titus & Associates, P.C., can explain what options are available to you. If a property owner failed to clean up a spill, had an out-of-code staircase, or left a tripping hazard in the lobby, then their insurance company should cover the costs of your injuries.

By working with Steven Titus & Associates, P.C., you can be assured that experienced and skilled attorneys will look into your case and advocate for your right to compensation. This could include your medical expenses, lost wages if you had to take time off work, and any difficulties you have faced due to your injuries. Without a lawyer at your side, the property owner or their insurance company will likely not provide any compensation. That is why contacting an attorney is extremely important.

How Do I Know If I Have a Case?

In order to file a premises liability claim, you will need to prove that the property owner caused your injuries and should pay for the costs of your injuries. We will need to launch an investigation into the property or business where you were injured and review any evidence that we can uncover.

The two most important parts of your case will be your medical records and the accident report, but there are other pieces of evidence our firm can collect to support your claim, including:

  • Witness statements, including statements from your friends and family
  • Photos or videos of the fall, including surveillance footage
  • Older accident reports
  • Maintenance reports
  • Building blueprints and floor plans
  • Your clothes, which may show that a floor was wet or slippery

Once we have completed our investigation and have enough evidence to support your claim, we can begin negotiating with the property owner or their insurance company. This may take some time, but we will keep you updated about any new offers or changes in your case. In Wyoming, you have up to four years to file a claim or take your case to court, but we will continue negotiating until we reach an agreement that you are satisfied with. If necessary, we are also prepared to file a lawsuit and present your case in court to get you the money you are owed.

Throughout the entire process, our Gillette personal injury attorney will provide in-depth and thorough legal guidance. If you have any questions or concerns, we will be quick to answer them and will never make a decision without your approval. We offer every potential client a free consultation, so there is no cost to contacting us to discuss your legal options. Call Steven Titus & Associates, P.C., at (307) 257-7800 to discuss your slip-and-fall accident claim.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Premises Liability

Steven Titus

Your FREE Case Strategy Session
On All Injury and Criminal Cases

Contact our office right now to speak to
someone who wants to help you.