Gillette Shoplifting Defense Lawyers
Despite having a lower crime rate than the national average, Gillette is not immune to criminal activity. Property crimes, including shoplifting, remain one of the leading types of crime in the area. Factors like economic hardship, substance abuse, and mental health issues can contribute to these incidents. However, shoplifting can result in severe legal consequences, making it essential to consult a Gillette criminal defense lawyer who can effectively represent your interests.
Steven Titus & Associates, P.C. is a premier criminal defense law firm with attorneys who genuinely care about each client. We understand individuals’ unique challenges in these situations, and we pride ourselves on maintaining constant communication with our clients and offering a down-to-earth approach. Head attorney Steven Titus is a former public defender, so he knows the ins and outs of the Wyoming criminal justice system. His unmatched work ethic and impressive track record are a testament to our commitment to providing the best legal defense.
We are here to help you through this challenging time. Contact us today at (307) 257-7800 for a free consultation to discuss your case.
In Wyoming, shoplifting is addressed under the state’s theft laws. The severity of shoplifting charges is typically based on the value of the stolen goods. Understanding the legal landscape surrounding shoplifting is crucial to building a solid defense.
- Shoplifting: If someone intentionally hides or takes items from a store without permission and with the intent to keep them without paying, the punishment can range from a felony (up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine) for items valued at $1,000 or more, or a misdemeanor (up to 6 months in jail and a $750 fine) for items worth less than $1,000.
- Price tag alteration: If someone changes or removes a price tag on an item in a store to pay less than the marked price, they could face a felony (up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine) for a price difference of $1,000 or more, or a misdemeanor (up to 6 months in jail and a $750 fine) for a price difference of less than $1,000.
It’s important to note that shoplifting laws may also take into account factors such as prior criminal history and the use of tools or tactics to facilitate theft.
Navigating shoplifting charges can be complex, but various defense strategies can be employed, including:
- Mistaken identity: This defense asserts that the accuser or witness has identified the wrong individual as the perpetrator. Raising doubt about the accuracy of the identification often involves presenting evidence or testimony to support the claim that the accused was not involved in the offense.
- Lack of intent: Shoplifting charges require the prosecution to prove intent to steal. If it can be shown that the accused had no intent to commit theft, it can be a powerful defense.
- Entrapment: In some cases, law enforcement or loss prevention officers may induce the alleged criminal act. Arguing that the accused was coerced or manipulated into committing the act can be a valid defense.
Building a strong defense strategy is where the skill of an experienced Gillette shoplifting defense attorney is most evident and can make a night and day difference in your case.
Your criminal defense lawyer’s top priority will be to secure you the best possible outcome. Shoplifting charges can have significant consequences, but with the right attorney by your side, you can navigate the legal process with confidence and work toward the best possible outcome for your case.
A seasoned Gillette theft crime defense attorney can significantly impact the outcome of your case through thorough investigation, skilled negotiation, tailored legal defenses, presenting alternative theories, and providing unwavering support and guidance.
If you’ve been accused of shoplifting in Campbell County, we want to hear about it. With Steven Titus & Associates, P.C., you can rest assured that your lawyer is dedicated to protecting your rights and ensuring you receive the best possible legal representation.
We offer a free case strategy session. Don’t hesitate to reach out at (307) 257-7800 today.
Your FREE Case Strategy Session
On All Injury and Criminal Cases
Contact our office right now to speak to
someone who wants to help you.