Spearfish Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Wyoming is a beautiful state, and walking is a wonderful way to get around while enjoying the great outdoors. It’s also really good for your cardiovascular system. Every day, people in Spearfish walk their children to school, stroll through their local neighborhood, or hike a local trail.
Although walking has many benefits, it can be hazardous when motorists fail to look out for pedestrians. In a recent year over 7,000 pedestrians were killed in crashes involving motor vehicles. And pedestrians are the victims in one out of six traffic fatalities.
If you or a loved one was harmed by a careless driver in Spearfish, we can file a claim to help you get the money you need to pay your medical bills. Call a Spearfish pedestrian injury lawyer at Steven Titus & Associates, P.C. at (307) 257-7800 and schedule a FREE consultation to learn more today.
When drivers are in a hurry, they can do dangerous things. But pedestrians have every right to use the roads and sidewalks to get where they need to. Everyone needs to follow the rules to help pedestrians stay safe.
The following types of negligent driver behavior can harm pedestrians:
- Distracted driving has become a major concern with the increased use of cell phones. Drivers must never use a handheld device for texting or talking and they should also avoid distracting behavior such as eating, checking their GPS, and reaching for items inside the cabin.
- Speeding drivers have a lot less time to react and make decisions, and this can have catastrophic results. Drivers who go too fast are also more likely to cause severe injures and fatalities when a collision occurs.
- DUI. Drivers who are above the legal BAC limit of .08 or anyone who is under the influence of prescription drugs or a controlled substance that impacts their ability to drive safely must stay off the road. Drugs and alcohol impair a driver’s judgement, vision, coordination, and reaction time.
- Failure to yield at crosswalks and intersections leaves pedestrians totally vulnerable. Drivers need to pay special attention to crosswalks when making left turns.
- Not accounting for weather conditions. We get a yearly average of over 20 inches of rain and more than 55 inches of snow in Spearfish. Weather has a huge impact on driving conditions. Motorists need to account for the limited visibility and increased stopping times caused by poor weather and reduce their speed when necessary.
Pedestrian accidents often cause serious injuries that require extensive medical care. But insurance companies do everything they can to save money. If you don’t have a personal injury attorney to fight for you, they’ll probably offer you a lowball settlement that doesn’t come close to covering the true cost of your injuries.
Insurance agents try to get accident victims to make incriminating statements about the accident or sign an agreement that prevents you from getting the money you need to get better. That’s why you should always let your lawyer do the negotiating. If the insurance company isn’t willing to make a serious offer, our team at Steven Titus & Associates, P.C. won’t hesitate to take them to court.
Your attorney will investigate the accident to find out who’s responsible for your injuries. During their investigation, your lawyer may interview witnesses, check the police report, review accident scene photos and surveillance video, and consult with medical experts to determine the long-term cost of your accident.
The claim that your Spearfish personal injury attorney files against the negligent driver’s insurance company will include the following types of expenses:
- Ambulance transport
- Emergency room treatment
- Current and future medical bills
- Loss of income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earning potential
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Nursing care and assisted living
- Home alterations for wheelchair ramps
A pedestrian is completely defenseless against the injuries caused by collisions involving cars, buses, delivery vehicles, and big rig trucks. In many cases, these accidents result in devastating injuries and other horrible consequences such as:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Internal organ damage
- Heavy bleeding
- Road rash
- Bone fractures
- Wrongful death
There are a number of steps you can take to help protect yourself against Spearfish pedestrian accidents. Talk to your loved ones about how these tips can keep you and your family safe when you’re out walking:
- Look left, right, and left again before entering a crosswalk.
- Wear reflective clothing when walking at night.
- Be extra careful when walking in a parking garage.
- Make eye contact with the driver before walking in front of a vehicle.
- Always hold your child’s hand when crossing the street or walking through a parking lot.
- Always walk when crossing the street.
- Obey all traffic laws.
You shouldn’t have to pay your own medical bills for an accident caused by another person’s careless behavior. Call (307) 257-7800 today and speak with one of our friendly team members.
At Steven Titus & Associates, P.C., you won’t owe us anything unless we win you a settlement.
Your FREE Case Strategy Session
On All Injury and Criminal Cases
Contact our office right now to speak to
someone who wants to help you.