Legal Blog
blog home Car Accidents Getting Your Accident Report From Wyoming Highway Patrol and Local Police

Getting Your Accident Report From Wyoming Highway Patrol and Local Police

By stladmin on November 27, 2020

Following a car accident, you should immediately report the incident to the police. Not only is this required by law, but it also can help you file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company. Police reports hold a lot of authority during insurance negotiations and in a jury trial. They may clearly outline why the other driver caused the accident and why he is liable for your injuries, increasing your chances of receiving compensation.

But first, you will need to get a copy of that report and review it with an attorney.

Why Is an Accident Report Important?

When a police officer arrives at a crash site, he will speak to everyone involved to determine if they require medical assistance or if they need to be charged with a crime, such as reckless driving or driving under the influence. The officer will include this information in the report and write down all drivers’ information, such as insurance and contact details, in case the police need to contact them later. The officer may also explain how the accident occurred or who was at fault.

In most cases, these reports will be written shortly after the accident and provide an objective view of the crash. If you have an attorney to review the report, he may be able to find key details that support your claim when comes time to deal with the other driver’s insurance company. In addition, insurance companies will find it hard to argue with a police officer’s opinion on a case.

Who Has Your Report?

There are two government agencies in Wyoming that investigate car accidents: the Wyoming Highway Patrol and local police officers. If your crash occurred on a highway like I-90, then the Wyoming Highway Patrol will investigate the scene and write a report on the accident. However, if your accident occurred on a local street, then local police may have a copy of the report. For example, if your collision occurred on First Street in Gillette, then the Campbell County Sheriff’s Office will have a copy of it.

To get a copy from the Wyoming Highway Patrol, you can contact the local office online through the Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT). There is a $3.00 fee for each copy and a $5.00 fee for certified copies. You can also visit a local office in person to request a copy, and these offices are also listed on WYDOT.

If you need a copy from local police, then you should contact the local office. For Gillette and Campbell County, in particular, you can receive a copy online by paying a $3.00 fee.

Contact an Attorney Today

Even before you have a copy of your accident report, you can speak to an attorney about your accident. At Steven Titus & Associates, P.C., our Gillette car accident attorneys have years of experience representing accident victims and can provide in-depth legal advice about your case. We can even request a copy of your accident report for you and collect other evidence to support your auto accident claim. If you have been injured by a negligent driver in Campbell County, reach out to our team at (307) 257-7800 to discuss your case in a free consultation.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Car Accidents

Steven Titus

Your FREE Case Strategy Session
On All Injury and Criminal Cases

Contact our office right now to speak to
someone who wants to help you.